Jasper's Corner Tap & Kitchen, San Francisco
Born in Traverse City Michigan, Michael Ransom spent his childhood foraging for sumac and morels and tapping sugar maples. Raised among cherry and apple orchards by parents who were big gardeners and ran a small maple syrup operation, Ransom was exposed to food in its basic and most natural state. He learned to appreciate fresh, healthy, and organic food from an early age. It was based on this foundation and appreciation of food that would lead Ransom to three distinct U.S. cities and cooking a variety of different cuisines.
Before graduating from Kendall Culinary Academy, Michael had the opportunity to work at Chef Shawn McLain's James Beard Award winning seafood and vegetable-focused restaurant, the Green Zebra. Then, Ransom joined Chef Susan Gross at the West Town Tavern where he honed his meat fabrication skills and worked as a mentor for aspiring young chefs.
Michaels foundation and appreciation of food eventually led him to the Bay Area. With his love for seafood and natural ingredients, San Francisco always seemed like a mecca to him. Experience Michael's passion for delectable fare at Jasper's Corner Tap & Kitchen.
- Q:Who is your culinary mentor?
- A:Chef Chambre' Beauvais, my mentor in high school and Chef Susan Goss at West Town Tavern in Chicago.
- Q:What is your favorite ingredient to cook with?
- A:Right now, ramps. Fish always.
- Q:Who would you most like to cook for?
- A:I love cooking for friends and family.
- Q:What is your favorite cookbook?
- A:Road food by Jane & Michael Stern. I also love vintage regional cookbooks.
- Q:Name a career highlight?
- A:My career highlight is the opportunity to work with children and young adults and provide dietary and culinary inspiration. Umoja in Chicago and Addis Light here is SF are providing great opportunities for youth and culinary awareness.